Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Choice to Serve a Mission

So it's no secret that both of my parents served missions and that Wendy got back less than a year ago. Even Ryan is putting in his papers in a few months. I at first felt pressured to serve a mission when Wendy came back and it really turned me off to the idea. That's just how I am and how i've always been. I like to make my own choices about things. But in April of this year I attended the funeral for my Grandmothers brother, William Grant Bangerter. He was a General Authority for the Church and also served as a mission president in Brazil. During his funeral they spoke a lot about missionary work and the blessings that come form it. It got me to really think about serving, because by that point I had thought a bit about it more. I spoke to my Bishop and prayed about it, but I got the answer that it wasn't my time. So I left it at that and thought I got my answer.

Then a few months went by and before I came to school I had a great talk with my Mom and Wendy about their missions. We talked about the blessing that come form it, as well as life lessons you learn. It got me to really think to just fill out my papers and see what happens. But I never really got around to that. Last thursday I was fasting and praying for just a final answer. I wanted to know if I needed to keep going with school or what. So I fasted and prayed a lot that day. Later that night after I exercised, I felt prompted to go walk up to the temple. As I did I was beginning to feel the love my Heavenly Father had for me. I felt the Spirit so strong that I couldn't even make it all the way to the temple. I had never felt my Father's love for me so strong before. I knew at that moment I was to serve a mission. I knew that I wanted to keep feeling the Spirit. During that time up at the temple I wanted to physically express my love for my Father in Heaven. I knew the way to show him my love was to serve him.

I am so excited to be an instrument in my Heavenly Father's hands to help bring His children back to him. I know that Christ's church is the true church and it's here on the earth today. I am so grateful to have the Gospel in my life and to feel the love of my Father. I want so badly to share these feelings with the people of the world. I'm grateful for the living Prophet Thomas S. Monson. He is the Lord's mouth piece and he says what the Lord wants us to hear.

I am nervous and so VERY excited to serve! I can't wait to get my papers in and get going! A funny story is that my friend Braden who is serving a mission right now seemed to be inspired. I've been emailing him weekly, sharing my testimony with him and hearing his amazing stories of how he is able to work so closely with the Lord. When I told him I was putting in my papers, he said that he has been wanting to tell me for ages that it's my time to go on a mission. But for the sake of my feelings, he didn't want to sound like he was being preachy. but he is so glad I'm making this choice! Him, and everyone else seemed to know it was my time, except me. I am too darn stubborn I guess!

I'm getting my papers in fast, so I hope to have everything set and going with in the next few weeks! I am so grateful for everyones support, it truly means so much to me that everyone is cheering me on in making this righteous choices!


3 comments:

  1. Yea! I am so excited for you! You are going to be one rockin' missionary! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to know with confidence that you are in God's will! We love you Mia-Pia and are thrilled that you are taking such a large step into walking in your own faith! Congratulations sweet girl, we will be praying for you and the people you are about to touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia! That's so exciting. I think it is so great that you gave so much thought and prayer to such an important decision, and what a great blessing to have such a beautiful answer! What are we going to do with you gone for 1 1/2 straight years?!?! :) Good luck getting everything ready!

    ReplyDelete